Welcome to my blog: Juvenated!

Please "follow" me, leave comments and suggestions, and take the polls at the bottom of the homepage! They change often.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Type 1 lost in Translation

Most people have NO idea what type 1 diabetes really is. They may think they know, but really have no clue. So, here I am providing you with links to websites that provide clear and accurate definitions and information on type 1 diabetes. I am not going to write you a research paper because let's face it...that would be pretty boring. What I am going to tell you about (after my list of links) is one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to people's misinformation about type 1 diabetes...and that is the rules of EATING.
a little humor to lighten the mood

First, the links.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001350/
http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/type-1/
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/type-1-diabetes/DS00329

Second, my pet peeve...the misconception of a diabetic eating pattern. I AM NORMAL. I do not have to shudder at the sight of a chocolate chip cookie or run in terror from ice cream. However, what I do have to do is eat ONE cookie instead of four and eat one cup of ice cream instead of a whole pint. Diabetes is all about portion sizing. The way my endocrinologist (diabetes doctor) put it is...I can have whatever I want, as long as I eat smaller portions and take insulin for it. We have to count carbohydrates and take insulin based on the carbs we eat. One of the most annoying things in the world (other that totally misinformed people) is when my close friends would yell at me for eating a cookie or when someone will ask me what I am allowed to have. I get that this is due to a complete lack of knowledge on the subject, but I mean come on...if someone who is close to you in your life has this disease (or any disease for that matter) take the time to LEARN ABOUT IT so you don't look like a jackass when speaking to them. Believe it or not, us diabetics have feelings, and we don't like being singled out in front of everyone when you attempt to deprive us of sweets a birthday party or make a fool of yourself by going off about my apparent HORRIBLE eating habits. Learn something before you speak. Thanks.

Something that people are also very confused on (but is far less annoying, in fact almost not bothersome at all) is what foods have carbohydrates in them and what carbs do. Carbohydrates help make energy out of the food in your body. Therefore, a diabetic who takes too much insulin and lacks carbs cannot function properly (so give me a break when my sugar is low people!). Carbs come from things like whole grain foods...such as pasta, bread, rice, potatoes, some vegetables, fruit (because it is sweet even though it is healthy). There are also carbs in things such as pop, candy, and donuts...these are more sugar-filled carbs and a lot less healthy. Another list of common carbohydrate packed foods are bagels, cornstarch, crackers, chips, granola, grits, muffins, pita bread, popcorn, tortillas, beer, liquor, sugar, and syrups. This is a very SMALL list compared to all of the foods that contain carbohydrates.

Well, I think I am done rambling about carbs and annoying people for the night. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask. As you can see I am pretty open about talking about my diabetes, so I am more than willing to discuss any topic brought up. Please leave comments!!!! Also, subscribe so you can be updated when I post new blogs and take the polls on the bottom of my homepage (they change so check if they are the same ones you have previously completed). Leave some comments with topic suggestions...like anything you want to know about or get my opinion about. Spread the word :)

Goodnight
-Ash

2 comments:

  1. hey ashley! you don't know me but my name is rebecca and i am a member of juveniton. i saw your blog on the teen group thingie and decided to check it out. i read it and i think it's great. i love the way you get info about type 1 out and you make it sound intresting. i've had diabetes for 6 years now and i know it's no fun.
    your blog is awesome. keep rocking!
    rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks rebecca! I do my best to make the topics fun and interesting and bring some comedy in as well. if you havent already take the polls at the bottom of the page and "follow" my blog (top right). Also let me know if you have any suggestions for topics

    ReplyDelete