Welcome to my blog: Juvenated!

Please "follow" me, leave comments and suggestions, and take the polls at the bottom of the homepage! They change often.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sleepover Safety

For months after I was diagnosed (I would even go as far as saying a year), I was afraid to stay the night anywhere but the comfort of my own home. For some odd reason I felt like if I was not at home I would not be able to properly take care of my diabetes or that something terrible would happen. After I finally began going places again, I realized that is not the case at all. However, when you stay the night somewhere you must inform the adults or someone else in the house of your condition and what to do in case of emergencies. So, I am going to inform you on what to tell them (if you have diabetes) or what to learn (if you are housing a diabetic).

instructions for Glucagon
For all of us diabetics...make sure SOMEONE in the house who will be there the whole time knows you have type 1 (it also helps if you have a medical bracelet). Next, be sure to tell them what to do in case of an emergency. One example of this is extreme low blood sugar in which you do not wake up. Teach them how to use the Glucagon kit and MAKE SURE YOU HAVE IT WITH YOU EVERY TIME YOU SLEEP ELSEWHERE. Tell them where all of your supplies will be and how to use the ones they may have to use, such as your meter, the glucagon (as mentioned before), and where your juice and sugar tablets are. Make sure they know to call the ambulance for your care.

For those who may have a diabetic staying at your house, make sure you ask all of the questions regarding what was printed above. Also, take the time to educate yourself. Do research. Ask questions. Learn about the disease. This will make you more knowledgeable in a time of emergency if one should arise.

Bottom line. Do not be afraid to reach out of your comfort zone and spend time with friends. Everything will be okay as long as you take the proper precautions. PARENTS: Do not force your children with diabetes to leave their comfort zone too soon. When they are ready to take care of themselves and venture out on their own, they will.

-Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment