Welcome to my blog: Juvenated!

Please "follow" me, leave comments and suggestions, and take the polls at the bottom of the homepage! They change often.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Soak up the Sun

This post is going to focus on the fast-coming season of summer! Although there are many amazing things about summer and it is my favorite season, there are many issues with diabetics (me in particular) that go along with summer. First issue is heat! The heat really plays with my physical feelings. Normally, I can sense when my blood sugar is low or high...but during the summer it is hard. When it gets really hot, for some reason I feel funny all the time! I can't even sense lows.

The second problem is swimming. With an insulin pump, swimming is difficult. Many insulin pumps are waterproof, but I mean come on...who wants to have a device hanging off their bikini? Mine can be submerged under 8 feet of water for 24 hours straight, but there is just something about putting a piece of technology under water that freaks me out. Not only do I fear it will stop working, but also I don't want to have it fall off my bathing suit and rip out while swimming. So, I have to take it off and then get out of the water every hour to check my sugar. If it is high, I take insulin and either wait for a while or go back in.

The third, and most annoying problem is tan lines. I hate the tan lines that come with wearing an insulin pump. Unless I take out my site every time I tan (which would be way too much work), I get a nasty white circle tan line where my site was at the time I was tanning. So, throughout summer I am polka dotted. Those who I am comfortable enough to talk about this with say it just makes me special. I guess in a way I am self conscious about this, but oh well. It's a part of me. Take it or leave it.

So, that ends my summer trouble blog.
Good night
-Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment