Welcome to my blog: Juvenated!

Please "follow" me, leave comments and suggestions, and take the polls at the bottom of the homepage! They change often.

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Baby Fever

Has anyone ever noticed that couples want kids so much, but don't realize the amount of work that goes into having children until they actually do? That really has nothing to do with the point of this blog...just throwing that out there. As said in my previous post, I want to marry my sweetie Andrew and we will be getting married when I complete my schooling. To go along with this, I do want to have children with him (after marriage, duh!). We, in fact, want numerous children. However, something worries me about that scenario and no it is not parenting. I have no doubt in my mind that Andrew will be an amazing father. It is diabetes. Diabetes can cause many complications with pregnancy, for both the mother and the child.


Before getting pregnant, a diabetic must complete multiple medical tests to make sure their health is prepared for the extra weight (no pun intended) of a pregnancy. Some of these needed tests include a urinalysis to check kidney function, cholesterol and triglyceride tests, and eye exams. A good, healthy blood sugar level must be maintained, as well.

As mentioned before, preexisting diabetes can take affect on the baby. A common problem is Macrosomia, which is enlarged body. This means high birth weight and larger size at birth. This happens when the child receives too much sugar through the placenta. The extra sugar is converted to fat, resulting in a larger baby. Another complication can occur when the mother has too much sugar in her blood throughout pregnancy. The child can be born with dangerously low blood sugar. This happens because when the child is receiving extra sugar through the placenta, it's pancreas makes increased amounts of insulin. When delivered, the child is no longer receiving that extra sugar and the insulin levels drop their blood sugar. Another issue is mineral imbalances such as calcium and magnesium. This can be replaced by medication.

As for the mother during diabetes, there are changes, as well. You will most generally require more insulin, especially during the last three months of pregnancy. This can be due to many things, such as eating more food, stress on the body, as well as hormone imbalances. You must change your diet to meet both the needs of your diabetic self and your unborn child. Another difference between non-diabetic pregnancies and diabetic pregnancies is that healthcare providers plan for early delivery. Most diabetic mothers can carry to term, but there is an increased chance of early delivery.

The one thing that worries me that I haven't found much information on during my research is blood sugar control during delivery. I have found that you may be taken off your pump (if you are on one) and given shots during delivery, but I have not found if insulin levels go up or down during delivery. That worries me that I will be working so hard to deliver the baby that my blood sugar will drop without me (or anyone) knowing and I will pass out or something. However, doctors have dealt with diabetic mothers before, so they will know what to do. I just have to let go, and let God I guess.

Ash

5 comments:

  1. I am currently pregnant and my doctor told me that during delivery you very rarely need any insulin at all and that can last up until a day after delivery. They do monitor your BG carefully but I was told it was rare to need insulin at this time. I guess God gives us a little break when we already have so much other stuff to worry about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful to hear! Thank you. What about low blood sugar. That is another main sugar. How do they monitor that your sugar does not drop during delivery?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this post. I'm not the only young type 1 (though I am younger than you) who is scared to go through pregnancy.. Sometimes, I wish I had been a teen mom just so I could've been relatively worry free during my pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand what you are saying Lydia. And of course you are not alone! Whatever your fears are, I am sure there is someone else out there feeling the same way. That is the point of my blogs...to educate and show that you are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just stumbled on your blog...I have type 1 and have 2 healthy girls (and am the daughter of a mom with type 1). My pregnancies were the hardest things I've ever done, but I did it (and would do it again!). :o)

    ReplyDelete