Welcome to my blog: Juvenated!

Please "follow" me, leave comments and suggestions, and take the polls at the bottom of the homepage! They change often.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I'm NOT a Druggie!

One of the worst things about diabetes is the stares. Like I mean come on...lay off. I understand that it is not normal for someone to have a tube sticking out of them or to inject themselves with something in public. Which is why I understand quick glances. But every diabetic comes in contact with that one person who just stares...and stares...and continues to stare until you either say something or leave...or they lose interest. Don't be rude people. I would so much rather a person come up to me and actually ask what I am doing or what my situation is, rather than stare blankly at my stomach or whatever I am doing. I like to educate. I do not like to get snappy, but sometimes I can't hold back. People can just be so rude.

For example, about six months after I was diagnosed, a friend and I were hanging out and we went to McDonalds. We were sitting in the McDonalds, about to eat our food, when I started with my diabetic routine that is performed before each meal. I quickly checked my sugar. At the time I was still on shots, so I pulled out my insulin pen and began to dial my units. When I pulled the cap of the needle off and proceeded to find a good site for an injection, I noticed a lady sitting two tables away blatantly staring at me. I was used to this so I proceeded to stab the needle into my side. By this time I noticed the lady still rudely staring at me, so I announced across the room..."Would you like me to come closer so you can see better?". Embarrassed, she got up with her food and left the McDonalds. Now, I don't like being confrontational like that, but enough is enough. Moral of the story...don't continue to stare.

Now that I have my insulin pump, I don't have the stares when injecting myself. However, when I have to change my insulin in public...I get the stares as if I am some drug user. I stick the needle in the vile, turn it upside down, draw the insulin out...this is the part that people say reminds them of druggies...then I proceed to flick the syringe to make sure the air is out. I get SO many stares when I do this. Sometimes I want to scream out, "I'm not a drug user. I mean come on would I really just whip it out in class and shoot up?!" Ugh...some people just frustrate me.

Well that is the end of my venting.
Goodnight.
-Ash

2 comments:

  1. No injections...
    http://pharmacy.diabetesjournal.info/medicine-products-diabetes-en.html
    Welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have type 1. i cannot take medicine

    ReplyDelete